Sunday 19 December 2010

FoI request #3 - Street parties

Derek Tickles

19 November 2010

My Dear chums

In August our Eric made an exciting pronouncement on reducing the
bureaucracy for street parties. He said:

"Fetes, street parties and fairs should be fun, and everyone's
energy needs to go into the fun part - not trawling through endless
reams of guidance and dusty rules.

"I want to banish the myths around laws preventing people from
putting on events.

"So there is still time for you to get together with your
neighbours this summer. Your council may be able to help you close
a road for a proper street party. If not, you can hold something in
a garden or even the park. It's your community, so celebrate it."

I am very excited about this and I am sure there are thousands of
others interested as well. I have great plans. I really do. I
cannot wait for the day to hold a street party. It is going to be
the biggest, bestest party in the whole wide world. There will be
tables laden with the finest cakes (Victoria Sponge obviously),
jelly and ice cream. There will lashings of lots of naughty but
nice food and all washed down with gallons of pop. Children will
dance, ladies will sing and men will cheer, even the dogs and cats
will join in I am sure. And the reason for this majestic event? To
celebrate the removal of Eric and his cronies from Eland House.
Ooooh that will a lovely day….

Anyway sorry I digress. On the assumption that there will thousands
if not millions of simple folk wishing to hold and celebrate like
me has CLG estimated the cost to the public sector for these
events. Cost incurred will include local authority planning,
policing, cleaning up as well as the more intangible costs
connected with road closures?

Yours in festive fun,

Derek Tickles

No comments:

Post a Comment